Background

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Fabulously Frugal Eating

So who doesn't love a recipe that costs $2 per serving? I know as a person who is always looking for ways to save money I'm very appreciative when I find things that are frugal, cheap and easy to make. I have several friends who are parents, they are busy, have large families or are struggling financially in this economy. Well I just found a pretty tasty looking recipe on a blog that I'm subscribed to and I'm going to give it to you here, but you can find her blog here and please note that this is her recipe and not mine.


$2 Chinese Noodles

Though this recipe makes use of premade packs of ramen, the addition of garlic and sesame oil and fresh ginger makes them so much more than your basic bowl of noodles. Served aside my knockoff version of Panda Express Orange Chicken, Kumquat Kissed Orange Chicken, something magic happens. The flavors combine together to create a rich, flavorful meal. Very much worth the extra time it takes to go homemade. If you've got a crowd to feed as I did, you'll want to follow the recipe below exactly. Three adults and five children ate plentifully off of the amounts below. If, however, you're serving a smaller crowd, feel free to decrease the amounts as needed.

3 packs Top Ramen, chicken flavor

3 packs Top Tamen, beef flavor

2 T. sesame oil

2 T. olive oil

1 package frozen stir-fry veggies or chow mein medley

2 tsp. minced garlic

1/2 tsp. fresh ginger, finely grated

Remove the flavor packets from the ramen. Fill a very large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add ramen noodles. Boil 2-3 minutes, or just until softened. Drain. Return pot to hot stove, add sesame and olive oils. Add the garlic and ginger to the oils, allow cook for about 1 minute, then add veggies and flavor packs. Once veggies have fully thawed, add hot noodles back into the pot. Stir carefully until noodles are well coated with oil mixture. Serve immediately. Or, you know, for breakfast.


So there you have it folks a delicious looking recipe and it also includes a link to the Kumquat orange glazed chicken. Check her out, she has some AWESOME recipes there. I've also been reading a lot of blogs about repurposing old things to new. And I just wanted to share with you a picture of my awesome project I did last night before I go. Its a cross with John 3:16 written on it.



2 comments: